On Wednesday, September 8, I’ll be taking over both the n00b presentation and the Featured presentation at the Rockville .NET User Group in Rockville, MD. I’ll be filling your heads with lots and lots of Azure, Microsoft’s most-excellent cloud computing platform!
If you’re new to Azure, the n00b session is the place to be! We’ll have our very first Azure application up and running in a few minutes, and we’ll learn about the basic moving parts.
For the Feature Presentation, we’ll build on our basic application, mixing in features from the three different Azure “portals”:
- Windows Azure – this deals with the virtual machines and highly-scalable storage
- SQL Azure – this is SQL Server, cloud-style!
- AppFabric – this provides connectivity and access control
For those who would like to follow along: We’ll be taking things pretty slow in the n00b session. If you’d like to try building your first Azure app along with me, you’ll need to a few things first – see details here. A quick summary to get up and running:
- Windows Vista, 2008, or Windows 7 (sorry, XP folks…)
- Visual Studio 2010 Web Developer Express or any version from your MSDN subscription (Professional, Ultimate, etc.)
- SQL Server 2005 Express or above
- Azure SDK 1.2 + Visual Studio Tools